Château

Visit of the castle

Steps of a visit

In the first room, the visitor is greeted by the chime of a rare Dutch clock dated 1711. The lobby also has a surprising whale jaw, a trophy of a Canadian hunting party in the 18th century.

 

After having climbed the stone stairs, one can access the gallery of portraits. This room is of historical interest. With 327 portraits three centuries of French and European history politics take place here. The decor required 60 years of work that included 3 generations of the family Ardier. The South Gallery has the most beautiful part of the furniture collection of the owners.

 The Cabinet of Grelots was the studio of Jean Thier. The wood of this piece, acquired in 1554, is the work of Scibec Carpi, the cabinetmaker of King Henry II. The delicate ceiling is decorated with the coat of arms of Jean Thier: 3 gold bells on a blue background.

 The tour ends on the ground floor through the ancient kitchen which was used until 1968. It has a beautiful copper cookware. The two fireplaces are in working order, as well as the largest rotisserie.

The gallery of portraits

Paul Ardier fitted the style of the gallery of portraits of historical characters to make it a brilliant lesson in political history.

The purpose of Paul Ardier was so simple that the project did extravagate: telling the history as well as international affairs of the Kingdom of France between 1328 and 1643 by means of 327 portraits. From the reign of Philip VI, the first sovereign Valois of Louis XIII, the last king known by Paul Ardier, 15 reigns followed. The kings appear accompanied by their ministers, marshals, generals of armies but also by all those that were involved in the diplomatic life of their reign. Popes, emperors, kings, foreign princes, sultans ... 327 portraits, 26 nationalities. The history of France built by Paul Ardier is a story of a surprisingly modern Europe.

His son Paul Ardier decorated the floor of the gallery of 150 square meters with Delft earthenware. More than 5500 tiles, as soldiers, and 17 regiment corps form a formidable running army.

Marie, the daughter of Paul Ardier, addressed the family Mosnier to complete the paintings in the gallery. The light blue French-style ceiling was obtained with powdered lapis lazuli, one of the most precious stones of the 17th century.

The decorative unit of the gallery was perfectly preserved to this day. Following the trails of Richelieu and Louis XIV in their time, visitors now come to Beauregard in order to be told the history of France.

 

 

Read more...

Histoire

Historique du château

Le premier bâtiment attesté par plan sur la terre de Beauregard fut un manoir, élevé à la fin du 15ème siècle, par le seigneur François Doulcet. Pour avoir, pendant les campagnes d’Italie, escroqué la couronne, Doulcet se vit confisquer tous ses biens par Louis XII. Beauregard rejoignit alors les propriétés du roi de France. Pour François 1er, le manoir fut un rendez-vous de chasse qu’il donna en 1520 à son oncle René de Savoie, frère de sa mère Louise.

En 1545, Jean du Thier, secrétaire d’Etat aux Finances du roi Henri II, fit l’acquisition du domaine. Il entreprit, entre 1553 et 1559, d’importants travaux qui firent de Beauregard un des grands châteaux du Val de Loire. On adjoignit au bâtiment primitif une galerie et une aile en retour d’équerre.

Read more...

Additional information

Find us on facebook